International Human Rights group accused Hamas security forces in Gaza of abusing prisoners
3. October 2012 – Human Rights Watch accuses Hamas security forces in a 43-page report of systematic abuse. Hamas, which seized control of Gaza in 2007, denies the allegations made by the Human Rights organisation. Read more.
Japanese diplomat, Chiune Sugihara, who saved Jewish families inspires Australian WWII play
3. October 2012 – Chiune Sugihara, known as the Japanese Oskar Schindler, was stationed in Lithuania as vice-consul during WWII. The diplomat defied orders from the foreign ministry in Japan and issued visas for 10,000 Jews to flee the country. Read more.
Jewish Leader Ronald Lauder interviewed by “Der Spiegel”
3. October 2012 – Interviewed by German news magazine “Der Spiegel”, president of the Jewish World Congress, Ronald Lauder, talked about the West’s conflict with Iran and possible unilateral actions of Israel. Read more.
“True Finns”, Finland’s third largest party, plans new bill to ban ritual circumcision
2. October 2012 – Finland’s third largest political party, “True Finns”, demanded again a legal ban on ritual circumcision of boys under the age of 15. The first suggestion was made by the party’s lawmaker, Vesa-Matti Saarakkala, earlier this year in March. Read more.
Jewish gravestones found at the bottom of the Vistula River in Poland
2. October 2012 – 17 Gravestone pieces from a Jewish cemetery in the Polish Brodno district were found at the bottom of the Vistula River. Further discoveries were a fountain, vases and marble steps, fittings of the Royal Palace in Warsaw. Read more.